Tuesday, June 21, 2011
This is certainly not my prettiest photo ever, but these little guys sure are tasty! Pickled radishes are a fun snack or great to toss on top of salads. They add a wonderful pop of color and are full of flavor.
For one quart jar:
- 3 bunches radishes (I recommend the round varieties, like 'Easter Egg', over French Breakfast radishes)
- 1 c. white wine vinegar
- 2 c. water
- 4 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 shallot
- Trim the tops off of the radishes. You can leave a little nub of stem, but they can be a little tough.
- Wash and slice the radishes, quarters or halves depending on size.
- Add them to a jar with the shallot, quartered.
- Combine all other ingredients in a pot and simmer until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Add liquid to the jar and refrigerate one week (okay, you can taste them after two days but they really get better after a week).
Yep, that's it! These keep several weeks in the refrigerator, but just try to keep them around that long.