Sunday, April 17, 2011
Super Mushroom Pizza
I love mushrooms on pizza. But why stick to just piling them on top when you can substitute that boring old tomato sauce with a delicious mushroom concoction? Combining different textures-- diced, sliced, sauteed, raw-- just enhances their delight even more. The simple toppings and light sprinkle of cheese let the mushroom flavor shine through. While I just used cremini mushrooms, you could use a variety for more complex flavor.
- In a large pan, combine 1 tbsp butter with 1 1/2 c. finely chopped cremini mushrooms.
- Brown over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 c. sliced mushrooms, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp salt, and a dash of black pepper and stir gently for another minute.
- Whisk 1 tbsp flour into 1 tbsp cream. Add to the pan with 1 c. stock (chicken or vegetable).
- Raise the heat and simmer for another few minutes until the sauce thickens and reduces a bit. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Turn the heat off and allow the sauce to cool a bit.
- Spread the mushroom sauce onto your favorite pizza crust.
- Top with additional raw, sliced mushrooms, thinly sliced red onion, and crumbled goat cheese. A dash of red pepper is great if you want a little spice.
- Bake in a 475 degree oven for about 15 minutes. You can use a pizza stone or a regular baking sheet. A thin spray of oil under the pizza dough ensures a crisp crust and easy removal.
- Top with fresh basil when the pizza comes out of the oven.