Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Only Way to Eat Brussels Sprouts



I'll admit it: I was one of those kids who didn't like brussels sprouts. I ate them begrudgingly, whining all the way. As an adult, my loathing wasn't as strong, but I still never picked them up at the grocery store. Until, that is, I found fresh brussels sprouts in the produce section instead of those dreaded frozen packages. They just looked so cute, I couldn't resist. And I've never looked back.

I love brussels sprouts now. At the farmers market last summer I grabbed wholes stalks of them (a sight to see!) every week. However, in addition to buying them fresh, preparation is key. Here is my favorite way to eat them, which happens to be very easy to prepare.
  • Preheat your oven to about 425.
  • Clean the sprouts, removing the outer leaves and trimming the stems if necessary.
  • Toss them in a bowl with some olive oil and kosher salt until they are all coated.
  • Place them in a roasting pan lined with foil for easy cleanup.
  • Roast in the oven until they begin to brown and the outer leaves start curling up. Give the pan a toss now and then to roll them around.
  • Transfer to a serving bowl and squeeze fresh lemon over the the sprouts.
That's all! A simple, delicious side dish that will compliment many meals. Be sure to buy a stalk or two the next time you're at a farmers' market, if for no other reason than to elicit some giggles from passersby as you carry them around.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment