Zucchini and tomatoes: what could be more summery? This fresh salad is beautiful, delicious, and takes full advantage of seasonal ingredients.
- 1 large-ish zucchini
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 spring onion (or sweet onion)
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive tapenade
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped capers
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, tapenade, capers, salt, and pepper. Whisk together and set aside.
- Thinly slice the onions and separate the rings.
- Thinly slice the zucchini. You can cut it into circles or cut or shave it length-wise into ribbons, which I find prettier. Either way, try to get the slices as thin as possible.
- Add the vegetables to the bowl and toss with the dressing. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Before serving, cut up the tomato and gently toss it with the other vegetables.
- Tear up the fresh basil and sprinkle on top of the salad to serve.
I served this salad atop socca flavored with a bit of crushed fennel which made it a satisfying, complete meal. You could also easily turn this into a panzanella salad or toss it with some feta. Leftovers, (but, really, you won't have any), keep well covered and refrigerated.